Study of existing alternatives, technical feasibility and design criteria for the implementation of denitrifying bioreactors within the reuse actions planned for the Rincón de León and Monte Orgegia WWTPs (Alicante)
METAL CONTAMINATION IN A GLOBAL WARMING PERSPECTIVE Effects on soil properties and relation with toxicity changes
Global climate change might intensify the hazardous effects of anthropogenic metal contamination in terms of soil toxicity risks and thus effects of loss of soil functionality and sustainability. The scientific research performed in this field has been mostly focused on the effects of single climate factors, while less attention has been paid to the combination of multiple climate factors.
Development of methods of conservation of plant germplasm, and selection of plant species for restoration of degraded ecosystems
Design and implementation of the Ajauque and Rambla Salada Wetland Protected Natural Area monitoring plan
This study reports the soil–plant relationships within a protected landscape in semiarid SE Spain that includes salt
marshes and temporary streams and that is affected by agricultural water leaching. The main objective was to establish
a conceptual model in order to use vegetation as bioindicator of soil conditions.With this model, environmental
changes – based on the observation of vegetation – could be detectable, allowing the prevention of
environmental impacts and the improvement of the environmentalmanagement of the studied area. Eight sampling
Specific agreement on environmental sustainability between the City Council of Cartagena and UPCT. Research topic 1: Regeneration of degraded soils.
The following tasks are carried out:
1. Physical-chemical characterization of municipal solid waste (MSW) from the Municipal Solid Urban Waste Plant of El Gorguel.
2. Physical-chemical characterization of the degraded soils in order to determine the different restoration options.
3. To asses optimal dosage of MSW for the improvement of soil prperties.
4. To install on-site plots in the soils to restore, to asess the suitablity of different combinations of plants and MWR for the restoration.
Management guidelines for the wetland "Regional park of Salinas y Arenales de San Pedro del Pinatar"
The specific objectives were:
* Identification and characterization of environmental units, in order to diagnose the state of conservation, quality and fragility of environmental resources, mainly soil, flora and plant communities.
* To study the structure and dynamics of the pine wood forest, analyzing its foreseeable evolution and establishing the potential situation to be reached, identifying and planning the actions to be developed.
Role of the coastal wetlands of the Mar Menor lagoon in depuration of nutrient-enriched water: mechanisms and processes in the soil-water-plant system
1.a.- To characterize water inputs flowing to the target wetland (quantitatively, loads, and qualitatively, nutrient contents).
1.b.- To asses nutrient contents in soils and the chemical/mineral forms in which they appear.
1.c.- To asses nutrient contents in tissues of the most representative plant species, as well as in the soil litter.
1.d.- To asses nutrient contents in soil pore-water.
2) Experimental work: